Jacob,

       I think it is quite possible that all our scientistific people
worldwide could get together and do something totally marvelous and
miraculous, and get a treatment or a cure, stem cell or not, for everyone,
with PD, Alzheimer's, juvenile diabetes, spinal cord injuries, etc.,  in a
reasonable period of time, even a short period of time.  We could even
possibly get past all these divisive issues of morals/ethics/religion.  But,
you see what is happening right now: the political, the legal, and the money
people are now involved.

       I never expected that I, at age 50, would ever see the benefit of
current stem cell research, or any other form of  current research for
treatment or cure:even if the research is promising; it will take some time,
even with uniform public support and cooperation, for that research to become
a reality where PWPs actually receive the treatment or cure.

       Specificly, in terms of stem cell research, my understanding is that
it was earmarked as promising by some within the scientific community for
future treatment or cure for PD in the early 70s, but the research was
effectively stopped by the anti-abortion movement at that time.  Apart from
one's personal politics and ethical/moral/religious views,  thirty years is a
long time to wait for any "promising" research in the area of  human health
to not move forward.

       We can argue, but stem cell research received some modicum of
approval, some nudge on its way forward, by President Bush's decision.  That
reasearch in this country is effectively stopped, again, by the current
litigation and moneygrabbing over contracts, licensing agreements, stem cell
lines, and patents in Wisconsin.    FYI: it takes a l-o-o-o-ng time to go
through federal, patent court in this country.

       There are apparently stem cells lines in existence and stem cell
research ongoing in other countries, but I have no idea what the scientific,
moral/ethic/religious, legal, and economic issues are in those countries.
Stem cell research is just an example; there may be another "promising" area
of research out there, and hopefully without the moral/ethic/religious
objections stem cell research has, but that research takes time to develop,
and to go through whatever hoops it has to go through, before it appears at
the bedside of a PWP in the form of a pill, or a shot, or other treatment.

        It would be nice  (probably very, very nice) if I were one of those
who could possibly benefit from research for treatment or cure for PD, but,
realisticly, I won't be.  But, I want others, with PD, Alzheimer's, juvenile
diabetes, spinal cord injuries, whatever, to benefit, at some time, down the
road.   It is worthwhile for me to work hard for that treatment, or cure,
whatever it may be, stem cell or not, even when I know, in my bones
(muscles?),  I will not personally benefit from that treatment or cure. Katie