Rayilyn--if you go to the PIEN archives on the PIENO website you will find
more about Mirapex/Pramipexole than you want to know !   Like all the meds,
it works well for some PWPs, others like Marlene report severe problems. It
is not a miracle drug for everyone---When Peter was on it, and his neuro
wouldn't reduce his Sinemet, he also had severe hallucinations and an
extreme paranoid episode that put him in hospital for 3 days and with home
health care for 6 weeks.  It is important that the level of dopa not get
too high, or this reaction is possible.  In your case, as you don't take
other PD meds, you could ask about trying it--it is one of the newer
agonists, like Requip (which Peter did use successfully, with Sinemet
reduced appropriately.)  As you say none of the PD meds help you, have you
ever been told that you might have one of the PD+ syndromes, rather than
"just" idiopathic PD?

>Dear LIST, has anyone out there had experience wwith this med?  If so what
>arre the side effects?
>"Dear Dr. L:  just saw this in most recent issues of Family Circle mag:
>"Preliminary studies show that a rug being used to treat the symptoms of
>Parkinsons diseases (pramipexole) may also help prevent the disease's
>progression.  American Academy of Neurology"
>
>Since the regular agonists and Sinemet don't work for me and I"m not on PD
>meds I'd be intersted to know if this assertion has any merit.  I'm not
>holding my breath.  Maybe I"ve just missed discussions of it since I've
>almost given up on PD meds.
>

>Thanks, [log in to unmask]

Camilla Flintermann, former CG for Peter 83/70/55
                     Oxford, Ohio

           on the web at   http://www.geocities.com/camillahf/index.html
           and also at   http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

               "Ask me about the CARE list for Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "
           And visit the CARE webring at http://www.pdcaregiver.org