Dear PIEN  friends,

   On July 27, 2001, my  long home-care ordeal
turned a corner.  Reversing a February recommendation,
a hearings officer at the Maine Department of Human
Services has now confirmed my original eligibility for
13 hours of home care per day , plus 2 night time hours,
each day,  These 15 hours are  the maximum hours
that the current DHS rules allow  any consumer to receive.
The earlier recommendation was to cut me to 5 daytime
hours of care instead of 13.

I am hoping that the restoration of my care hours to
their 1998 level has set a precedent  across the continent
for  PWP's who wish to stay at home, and avoid institutional
care, as long as possible.

I am grateful to the listmembers,  and their friends
who have been behind me, as a sounding board. I wish to thank
especially  Linda Herman, co-author of "When Parkinson's
 Strikes Early, " Katie  Wolfe, Wisconsin  attorney,
and earlier, when I was a newcomer to PIEN,
Stephan Schwartz, deputy attorney-general of New
Jersey, for many practical suggestions. PIEN certainly
has a wonderful functioning role as a "virtual family."

  I distribute  the 15  (13 + 2) hours as I need them, as the
program I am on is consumer-directed.   I can assign
hours or shifts, on nights, on weekends and holidays, as
long as I am competent, and able to find and hire suitable help.

  I can go with personal care attendants on
 travel out-of-state, with no restrictions.  The
burden of proof has been met, and I no longer
feel like I am under surveillance.

  I had first qualified for this level of care in
August, 1998.

  Administrative Hearings Officer Ronald Stoodley's nine-page,
single-spaced typed decision  is decisive and without hesitation.
His recommendation to DHS Commissioner Kevin
Concannon, is that my case is reliable and credible.

 There are more than 900 pages of double-
spaced, typed transcript that document  the eight months
of hearings.  This has been a long, prayerful battle,
especially when I was cross-examined aggressively
on at least three different occasions.
My lawyer, Helen Bailey, from Maine's branch office of
the federallly-funded Disability Rights Center, and I
 have received many complements and positive comments for our hard
work.  I was very, very fortunate to have her assistance, and
it has had many positive spin-offs.

The next step, expected to happen any day now,
is confirmation of the decision as final, by Commissioner
Concannon.

Ivan Suzman
Portland, Maine
USA