[log in to unmask] wrote:
> What is a good vitamin to take with REquip?  The is some old hype saying
> b6(pyrodoxine) interferswith dopamine therapy   Comments?  Thanks  Lois

Lois, there is no particular vitamin that's good to take with Requip.
Some nutrients that people with PD sometimes become deficient in or need
extra amounts of are magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, and B vitamins.
Ideally, everyone with PD would receive medical nutrition therapy with a
registered dietitian to assess nutrition risk and prevent such
deficiencies occurring. Since that doesn't often occur, it's not a bad
idea to take a multivitamin; if you're not anemic, I'd choose one with
little or no iron.

Regarding B6, when levodopa alone was used to treat PD, it was learned
that B6 could block the levodopa from reaching the brain. Combining
carbidopa with levodopa allowed the levodopa to be protected, and you
can now take supplements of B6, although I'd be careful with amounts
over 10-15 mg -- that could be enough to overwhelm the carbidopa effect.
Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Ask the Parkinson Dietitian"
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/