Dear Editor:

As an ovarian cancer survivor and now a Parkinsons Disease prisoner, I am
increasingly disheartened by the religious opponents of the stem cell
research that may provide cures for the horrible diseases that destroy and
shorten the lives of millions of suffering human beings, old and young, all
over the world.

While PD daily robs me of my ability to function, the question of whether a
blastsocyst is a human being is being argued.  Stem cell research opponents
applaud the birth of litters of in vitro children and apparently don't think
it is morally inconsistent to harvest and destroy extra blastocysts for
reproduction, but not for research.  Congresspersons who don't even
understand the science have prematurely rejected therapeutic cloning.  To my
knowledge, no religious dogma or text speaks to these issues, because the
religions were developed before the science.  Even if they did, religion has
historically been on the wrong side of truth.  Not everyone believes Popes
are infallible.

At 65, I have little hope for a cure in my lifetime even if we had an all-out
war on disease, as opposed to refighting the wars of religion. But I could
better deal with my condition if scientists could work unfettered so that
children and younger people would have some chance for normal, healthy lives.
 I would also take comfort from religions if they concentrated on improving
the quality of  the lives of born, living, suffering people instead of
crusading and pontificating for the rights of unborn, theoretical, potential
people.

Rayilyn Brown
40697 Corte Albara
Murrieta, CA  92562
909-696-0908

I"ve tried to clean up typos and errors, probably have more.