I apologize (if necessary) for any strange messages.  I tried to use Reply on
Murray's Email to send this, but twice I got "Your message has been sent."  I
didn't send anything!?!?  I don't know what happened, so if two E-mails come
through from me as replies to Murray's please just delete and ignore them.
Here's what I was trying to send.  Our newspaper has a column called Hot
Sites,  which I very rarely remember to look at, but this morning I did and
it listed some sites concerning stem cell research.  Some of you may already
be familiar with these, but FWIW, I'm passing them on anyway.

www.news.wisc.edu/packages/stemcells  Scientists led by University of
Wisconsin-Madison biologist James Thomson became the first in the world to
successfully isolate and grow human embryonic stem cells in 1998.  The
university Web site explains the research.

 www.stemcellresearch.org  A group of scientists and others called "Do No
Harm" argues there are alternatives to using human embryos for the research.
Do No Harm's site says advances with adult stem cells and other therapies
have shown as much, if not more promise.

www.alteich.com/links/kass.htm  A smattering of writings by Leon Kass, chosen
by President Bush to head his advisory council on bioethics.  Kass is a
critic of human cloning and embryonic stem cell research.

www.nih.gov/news/stemcell  Read the White House fact sheet on President
Bush's decision on stem cell research funding.

www.ajobonline.com/er_bioethics.php  Bioethics on the TV drama "ER."  Here is
the University of Pennsylvania's Center for Bioethics Web page of thoughtful
essays on ethical issues in each episode of the popular show.

I hope some of this information will be helpful.  I do have one question and
it may be a stupid one, but I'll ask it anyway.  It's about Leon Kass being
named head of the advisory council--isn't that kind of like naming Hugh
Hefner to head up a study that would eliminate sex, parties and young girl
friends?  Just wondering.
My computers going away again for some much needed fiddling--that's what my
niece calls it.  Hopefully it will be working better when it gets back.

Eleanor