Greetings.
    Victoria, I inadvertently left you off my list of people whose messages I especially appreciated--merely an oversight. (I definitely do NOT regard myself as "in" and you or anyone else as "not in"; let's not go there!)
    Thank you for your earlier message of hope and for your clear and helpful second posting.  Surely none of us should have to feel guilty or apologize for expressing our views.
    Like Jane Milton, Kenna, and others, I have always been grateful to the Inkshed community for not only allowing but also encouraging free and open debate.
    Of course we have all grieved about the events of the past week.  But now there are other important issues to consider.  One that is crucial to the Canadian Association for the Study of Language and Learning is that of dialogue.  I am gravely concerned about a society where people are afraid to discuss certain subjects that are considered "sacred" because such discussions might offend someone.
    Do we need to remind ourselves that some of mentors--Vygotsky, Bakhtin, Friere, Burke--were responding with courage to difficult times and circumstances?
                Also in hope,
                    Roberta
(Merely as a matter of context--I am a Canadian citizen, an ex-American, who has close relatives living both in NYC near the WTC and in DC.  I moved to Canada in 1969, amidst signs that read:  "America, Love It or Leave It!")