I can appreciate the concerned responses concerning my sister
falling asleep while at a stop light...I too am shocked and distressed
about this symptom coming from her Parkinson's meds.

I've been reading that virtually ALL PD meds have this as a potential
side effect so switching to another med doesn't sound like a solution
 to this serious problem nor does to just stop taking any PD meds.

Taking the keys away from my young Parkie can be riskier that kicking
a rattlesnake nest so I'm searching for another option and I'm glad to see
researchers are too. Something must be done about this side effect as it
potentially effects the lives and livelihood of every PWP.  Hey, if we locked
up everyone who has ever nodded off while driving, I'd be locked up too.

So far my sis says, "My sleepy times are predictable and short duration.
I take naps when needed and do not drive during those times." This is
a big problem for her and alot of other people who won't admit it. It is
of serious concern to me and one I want researchers to focus attention
to NOW while they are searching for a cure for PD.

I'm still searching for anyone who has tried the medication Modafinil.

Would anyone with access to other national or international PD support
email lists copy my post on that list too? Thanks.

At least this indicates that some researchers are looking at the problem:

     Modafinil treatment of pramipexole-induced somnolence
     RA Hauser, MN Wahba, TA Zesiewicz , P680

       Successful treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness in PD
                with Modafinil.
       PMID: 11518012

       Modafinil and pramipexole-associated somnolence.
       Mov Disord. 2001 Jul;16(4):783. No abstract available.
       PMID: 11481716

       Modafinil treatment of pramipexole-associated somnolence.
       Mov Disord. 2000 Nov;15(6):1269-71. No abstract available.
       PMID: 11104221

Thanks for the search effort Janet.

[Now I just have to find someone with a subscription to the
Movement Disorder Journal !]

Gail