After being with his blind date all evening, the man couldn't take another
minute with her. Earlier, he had secretly arranged to have a friend call him
to the phone so he would have an excuse to leave if something like this
happened.

When he returned to the table, he lowered his eyes, put on a grim expression
and said, "I have some bad news. My grandfather just died."

"Thank heavens," his date replied. "If yours hadn't, mine would have had
to!"