Dear Friends: I do not live in the place which we in
Connecticut call simply The City, but I live close enough
to stand on the shores of Sherwood Island State Park and
see the smoke cloud from the ruins of lower Manhattan.
Close enough to attend, along with 2 of my 3 sons, N.Y.C.
colleges . Close enough that the psychiatric hospital where
I work has set up 24 hour grief counseling for the family
and friends of the lost ones who worked in The City. For
the hospital beds we rushed to prepare in the burn units
and trauma centers in this part of the state are empty. We
waited but nobody came. We will be filling body bags and
morgues, not hospital beds. We prepared to treat ravaged
bodies, but we will treat instead the ravaged minds of
those left behind.I am a pacifist of long standing. I
protested our involvement in Viet Nam. The morning of
9/11/0l changed me forever. We Americans have been guity of
arrogance. We looked away from the suffering inflicted in
other parts of the world by those too inhumane to be
considered human beings. We were safe. Meanwhile evil
continued to fester and grow, until it was strong enough to
reach out and touch us. Evil ignored is evil perpetuated.
We are arrogant no more...      Carole Hercun