A CNN news anchor stated on September 11 that when a tragedy occurs like
the one that occured that day people naturally seek comfort and hope from
a higher power. Judging from what I have seen on TV and in  those around
me, that seems to be true for many people. But I have great difficulty
understanding why. As a gesture of support for my friends and the
survivors in a time of distress, I attended a prayer service in memory of
those killed on September 11. The deity was asked to comfort and have
mercy on the families and friends of those who died. While I wish for
every comfort and mercy for these people, I cannot see why we should want
to ask the deity to see to it. To me, what was being said was the
following: "God, you have killed, or allowed to be killed, several
thousand innocent people. Now I ask you to comfort and have mercy on the
survivors." Does this make sense? A deity who was all-powerful and
all-knowing surely could accomplish both of these things. But surely a
deity who was all-good would never have allowed the first so as to have
to be requested to do the second. Contrary to what the CNN commentator
stated, a tragedy of the kind that happened on September 11 moves me away
from the idea of such a "higher power," not toward it. I cannot take
comfort in the idea that there is an all-powerful deity who would permit
the devastation of September 11 to take place.

Does anyone else see it that way? I send this not to offend but with
genuine philosophical puzzlement.

Ken (care-giver)