At 10:29 2001/09/07 -0500, Gail Vass wrote:
>I can appreciate the concerned responses concerning my
>sister falling asleep while at a stop light...I too am
>shocked and distressed about this symptom coming from
>her Parkinson's meds.
>
>I've been reading that virtually ALL PD meds have this
>as a potential side effect so switching to another med
>doesn't sound like a solution to this serious problem nor
>does to just stop taking any PD meds.
>
>Taking the keys away from my young Parkie can be riskier
>that kicking a rattlesnake nest  ...

she must be in denial about the problem
if she cannot see that she is potentially putting
not only her life at risk but those of others as well
what does her neuro say about all this?

all pd meds do NOT have this particular problem
ONLY pramipexole (Mirapex) and ropinirole (Requip)
(relatively new drugs on the pd scene)

it has been well documented in the medical literatrue
and has been acknowledged as a potential problem by the manufacturers
in additional warnings included in the med packaging
in particular about the suddenness of onset
and the unpredictability of sleep attacks

your sister may be looking at this situation
with an extra set of blinders on:
aka fear of losing her ability to drive
aka fear of losing anything to pd
aka fear of truly accepting her diagnosis of pd

maybe a dose of reality might get through
if she consulted her auto insurance policy

the drug manufacturers added those warnings so as to
avoid any potential liability

your lawyer sister should understand this

>so I'm searching for another option and I'm glad to see
>researchers are too. Something must be done about this side
>effect as it potentially effects the lives and livelihood
>of every PWP.  ...

not to be harsh here,
but having pd is considered a disability

some people are in denial about the usefulness of wheelchairs
'ono not me!'

>Hey, if we locked up everyone who has ever nodded off
>while driving, I'd be locked up too....

not the same thing
and besides
'nodding off' is a euphemism for 'asleep at the wheel'

how would you feel about this problem
if your sister were a pilot of a 747?
or a pizza delivery person?

a license to drive a car
(i.e. government (i.e. we the people) permission)
to take charge of two tons of metal hurtling at
a potential velocity of 30 to 100 (plus) miles per hour

has she ever 'nodded off' before while at the wheel?
if she did nod off AND had killed/injured someone in an ensuing crash
maybe she would be more cognizant of the risks here

>So far my sis says, "My sleepy times are predictable and short
>duration. I take naps when needed and do not drive during those
>times." ...

this does not jive with with the manufacturers' warnings
or her own description of falling asleep at a stoplight
and getting blasted on the horn by a fellow-driver

>This is a big problem for her and alot of other people
>who won't admit it ....

denial is a river in egypt
period

denial does not make the problem go away

if your head is stuck in the sand
it just means that your butt makes a great target!
(i know this situation well)

>It is of serious concern to me and one I want
>researchers to focus attention to NOW while they
>are searching for a cure for PD ...

we all have our priorities;
walking and writing are mine.

i used to love to drive but i don't miss it one bit
(i stopped driving due to economic reasons, not pharmaceutic)

>Thanks for the search effort Janet...

no problemmo
your parky sis is my parky sis;
there but for grace, drive i

>[Now I just have to find someone with a subscription
>to the Movement Disorder Journal !] ...

maybe it's on the web by now?

janet

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky .
pd: 54/41/37 cd: 54/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask] .
smail: 375 Country Street, Apt 301, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0 .