I'm forwarding the following message sent today by Laura Ekart of the
Parkinson's Action Network:
She wrote:
<<Parkinson's Research funding for the Army Program for Neurotoxin
Exposure Treatment Research Program (NETRP) for Fiscal Year 2002.

<<There may be a mark up on the Department of Defense spending bill
tomorrow morning in the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee! Please
call your Representative Tomorrow to urge $50 million appropriations for
the NETRP Program.

<<For more information, see www.parkinsonsaction.org to learn what you
can do to help!!>>
Laura Eckart
I'm reposting PAN's "Talking Points on DOD funding" and the members of
the House  Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense below. If
YourRepresentative is on this subcommittee, please try to call  him or
her tomorrow morning. If you have questions, PAN's phone number is
800-850-4726 .
Linda

<<The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense is responsible for
Department of Defense appropriations including the Army Medical Research
and Materiel Command Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Program (NETRP). PAN
is seeking $50 million for the NETRP for fiscal year 2002.>>

 NAME           PARTY   STATE   DISTRICT
Bonilla Henry   R        TX      23
Cunningham Randy R    CA      51
Frelinghuysen Rodney    R   NJ      11
Hobson  David   R        OH      7
Istook  Ernest  R       OK      5
Lewis   Jerry   R               CA      40
Moran   James   D       VA      8
Murtha  John    D         PA      12
Nethercutt George R   WA      5
Sabo    Martin  D         MN      5
Skeen   Joe     R          NM      2
Visclosky Peter D        IN      1
Young   C.W.    R       FL      10

Representative Jerry Lewis, R-CA, is the Chairman and Representative John
Murtha, D-PA is Ranking Member of the Committee.>>

<<TALKING POINTS (FROM PAN)
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS FOR FISCAL YEAR 2002
FOR THE UNITED STATES ARMY MEDICAL RESEARCH AND MATERIEL COMMAND
NEUROTOXIN EXOPOSURE TREATMENT PROGRAM (NETRP)

Background:  Lawmakers have begun drafting appropriations bills for the
2002 fiscal year, including funding for the Department of Defense (DoD).
The Department of Defense appropriations bill contains funding for the
Army Program for Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Research Program (NETRP).
This excellent program investigates the causes and looks for ways to
treat and prevent Parkinson's and other nuerodegenerative diseases.  It
is crucial for advocates -- in particular constituents -- to call Members
of Congress who serves on the Appropriations Defense Subcommittee - that
decides on the funding for the DoD - to urge them to aggressively fund
the NETRP.  We are seeking $50 million for Fiscal Year 2002 for this
program.

Talking Points:

[Note: When making calls always identify yourself as a constituent of the
Congressperson's district or Senator's home state.]

I am calling today to urge [Congressman/women or Senator (last name)] to
support funding in the Department of Defense Appropriations bill.

Specifically, I am calling about the Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment
Program (NETRP), to ask that [Congressman/women or Senator (last name)]
support the funding of $50 million for Fiscal year 2002.

This program is very important for the military and the Parkinson's
community.

[Explain your personal connection to Parkinson's disease and how the
disease has affected you and your family.]

This innovative program investigates the causes of neurodegenerative
diseases such as Parkinson's and looks for ways to prevent and treat
these diseases.

Everyday, Military personnel work in environments that expose them to a
wide range of toxins that increase their risk for neurological disease.

Unfortunately, many of the toxins that the military are exposed to are
also found in products commonly found within our homes.

The NETRP has had numerous scientific breakthroughs and improved
understanding of what causes these diseases and how they will be treated
and prevented. This program will save lives.

Funding for NETRP is a vital investment of funds. In fact, Parkinson's
disease is estimated to cost the United States $25 billion a year.

Can we count on your support? How does [Congressman/women or Senator
(last name) intend to vote on this issue?

Thank you for your time and consideration.  I would like to leave my
name, address and phone number so that I can hear back on this critical
issue.>>