--------- Forwarded message from Parkinson's Action Network ----------
From: "Laura Eckart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:22:11 -0400
Subject: Legislative Alert!! DoD Appropriations!!

WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW!

By Mid-September, lawmakers will have drafted appropriations bills for
fiscal year 2002,  including funding for the Department of Defense (DoD).
 The Department of Defense appropriations bill contains funding for the
Army Program for Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Research Program (NETRP).
This excellent program investigates the causes and looks for ways to
treat and prevent Parkinson's and other nuerodegenerative diseases.

As you know, it is critical for advocates - in particular constituents -
to call and write to Members of Congress who serve on the Appropriation
Committee(s) that fund Parkinson's research - to urge them to support
Parkinson's research funding for fiscal year 2002.

Attached to this e-mail are sample letters for you to use when writing to
your Member of Congress and talking points for you to use when you phone
your Member of Congress. The phone number for Congress is 202-225-3121.

Also attached is the membership roster of the four appropriations
committees who have jurisdiction over the Department of Defense.  They
are the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee; House Full Committee
on Appropriations, Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee and the
Senate Full Appropriations Committee.

Please send this message on to anyone you know who can help or direct
them to our website at http://www.parkinsonsaction.org   and click on
LEGSLATIVE ALERT.
PAN's phone nnumber is  800-850-4726.

Thanks for all of your hard work! Together, we will find a cure as soon
as humanly possible.
Laura Eckart
PArkinson's Action Network
Dated: September 6, 2001

TALKING POINTS
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS FOR FISCAL YEAR 2002
FOR THE UNITED STATES ARMY MEDICAL RESEARCH AND MATERIEL COMMAND
NEUROTOXIN EXOPOSURE TREATMENT PROGRAM (NETRP)

Background:  Lawmakers have begun drafting appropriations bills for the
2002 fiscal year, including funding for the Department of Defense (DoD).
The Department of Defense appropriations bill contains funding for the
Army Program for Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Research Program (NETRP).
This excellent program investigates the causes and looks for ways to
treat and prevent Parkinson's and other nuerodegenerative diseases.  It
is crucial for advocates -- in particular constituents -- to call Members
of Congress who serves on the Appropriations Defense Subcommittee - that
decides on the funding for the DoD - to urge them to aggressively fund
the NETRP.  We are seeking $50 million for Fiscal Year 2002 for this
program.

Talking Points:

[Note: When making calls always identify yourself as a constituent of the
Congressperson's district or Senator's home state.]

I am calling today to urge [Congressman/women or Senator (last name)] to
support funding in the Department of Defense Appropriations bill.

Specifically, I am calling about the Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment
Program (NETRP), to ask that [Congressman/women or Senator (last name)]
support the funding of $50 million for Fiscal year 2002.

This program is very important for the military and the Parkinson's
community.

[Explain your personal connection to Parkinson's disease and how the
disease has affected you and your family.]

This innovative program investigates the causes of neurodegenerative
diseases such as Parkinson's and looks for ways to prevent and treat
these diseases.

Everyday, Military personnel work in environments that expose them to a
wide range of toxins that increase their risk for neurological disease.

Unfortunately, many of the toxins that the military are exposed to are
also found in products commonly found within our homes.

The NETRP has had numerous scientific breakthroughs and improved
understanding of what causes these diseases and how they will be treated
and prevented. This program will save lives.

Funding for NETRP is a vital investment of funds. In fact, Parkinson's
disease is estimated to cost the United States $25 billion a year.

Can we count on your support? How does [Congressman/women or Senator
(last name) intend to vote on this issue?

Thank you for your time and consideration.  I would like to leave my
name, address and phone number so that I can hear back on this critical
issue.

9/5/01
PAN'S Sample Letter to Congress on Department of Defense Appropriations

[Date]
The Honorable [First Name] [Last Name]
U.S. Senate/ U.S. House of Representatives
Washington D.C. 20510/20515

Dear Senator/ Representative [Last Name]:

I/ We seek your support for the United States Army Medical Research and
Materiel Command's Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Program (NETRP).  In
order to allow this outstanding program to continue, I/ We ask for the
appropriation of $50 million for the NETRP for Fiscal Year 2002.

The NETRP has had terrific results and is critically important for the
military.  This innovative program investigates the mechanisms and
treatments of neurological diseases - with an emphasis on Parkinson's
disease - to prevent, detect and treat environmental toxicity that may
result from exposure to military threat agents and operational hazards.
Allow me/ us to highlight some of the NETRP's merit:

·Serviceman and women work in environments that expose them to a wide
range of toxins that may increase their risk for disease.
·Many of the toxins that our servicemen and women are exposed to are
found in products commonly found within our borders such as pesticides
and cleaning agents.
·Advance research allows the Department of Defense (DoD) to better
understand and thus minimize risk for service personnel.

I [my husband/wife/parent etc.] suffer from Parkinson's, a progressive
neurological disorder that destroys brain cells controlling motor
function.  Available treatment only partially alleviates the resulting
stiffness, tremor and slowness of movement eventually leaving its victims
unable to speak, walk or even move.  [Personal details about how you have
been directly affected will make the letter more compelling and should be
included here.]

When funds are invested in valuable research such as NETRP, the return is
dramatic.  I/ We can say with confindence that the NETRP will saves
lives.  Moreover, since Parkinson's disease is estimated to cost the
United States at least $25 billion a year in direct health related
expenses, disability costs and lost productivity - and this number will
balloon with the aging of the Baby Boom Generation - it is a fiscal
imperative.

Detecting and thus preventing neurological diseases such as Parkinson's
would benefit our military personnel and it would profoundly impact the
lives of the million plus Americans who suffer from this disease.  I/ We
urge you to support funding for the NETRP.  I/ We thank you for your
attention and look forward to a response.

Sincerely,

[Your name, Address, and Phone Number]

KEY SENATORS:

The Senate Appropriations Full Committee is responsible for all
appropriations made in the United States Senate, including Department of
Defense (DoD) - which includes the Army's NETRP program- and the National
Institutes of Health (NIH). PAN is seeking $50 million for the DoD's
NETRP program and $143.5 million for year two of the NIH's Parkinson's
Five Year Research Agenda for fiscal year 2002.

NAME                    PARTY   STATE
Bennett  Robert         R       UT
Bond Christopher        R       MO
Burns Conrad            R       MT
Byrd Robert             D       WV
Campbell  Ben           R       CO
Cochran  Thad           R       MS
Craig   Larry           R       ID
DeWine  Mike            R       OH
Domenici Pete           R       NM
Dorgan  Byron           D       ND
Durbin  Richard         D       IL
Feinstein Dianne                D       CA
Gregg   Judd            R       NH
Harkin  Tom             D       IA
Hollings        Ernest          D       SC
Hutchison Kay Bailey    R       TX
Inouye  Daniel          D       HI
Johnson  Tim            D       SD
Kohl    Herbert         D       WI
Landrieu Mary           D       LA
Leahy   Patrick         D       VT
McConnell Mitch         R       KY
Mikulski         Barbara        D       MD
Murray  Patty           D       WA
Reid    Harry           D       NV
Shelby  Richard         R       AL
Specter Arlen           R       PA
Stevens Ted             R       AK
Senator Robert C. Byrd, D-WV is Chairman and Senator Ted Stevens, R-AL,
is the Ranking Member of the Committee.

The Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense is responsible for
Department of Defense appropriations including the Army Medical Research
and Materiel Command Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Program (NETRP). PAN
is seeking $50 million for the NETRP for fiscal year 2002.

NAME            PARTY   STATE
Bond Christopher  R     MO
Cochran Thad    R       MS
Gregg   Judd    R       NH
Harkin  Tom     D       IA
Hollings        Ernest  D       SC
Hutchison Kay Bailey    R       TX
Inouye  Daniel  D       HI
Reid    Harry   D       NV
Specter Arlen   R       PA
Stevens Ted     R       AK
Byrd    Robert  D       WV
Domenici Pete   R       NM
Dorgan  Byron   D       ND
Durbin  Richard  D      IL
Feinstein Dianne         D      CA
Leahy   Patrick D       VT
McConnell Mitch R       KY
Shelby  Richard R       AL

Senator Daniel Inouye, D-HI, is Chairman and Senator Ted Stevens, R-AL,
is the Ranking Member on the Committee.

KEY REPRESENTATIVES:

The House Appropriations Full Committee is responsible for all
appropriations made in the House of Representatives, including Department
of Defense (DoD) - which includes the Army's NETRP program- and the
National Institutes of Health (NIH). PAN is seeking $50 million for the
DoD's NETRP program and $143.5 million for year two of the NIH's
Parkinson's Five Year Research Agenda for fiscal year 2002.

NAME            PARTY   STATE   DISTRICT
Aderholt Robert  R      AL      4
Bonilla Henry   R       TX      23
Boyd    Allen   D       FL      2
CallahanSonny   R       AL      1
Clyburn James   D       SC      6
Cramer  Robert  D       AL      5
Cunningham Randy        R       CA      51
DeLauro Rosa    D       CT      3
DeLay   Tom     R       TX      22
Dicks Norman    D       WA      6
Doolittle John  R       CA      4
Edwards Chet    D       TX      11
Emerson JoAnn R MO      8
Farr    Sam     D       CA      17
Fattah  Chaka   D       PA      2
Frelinghuysen Rodney    R       NJ      11
Goode   Virgil  I       VA      5
Granger Kay     R       TX      12
Hinchey Maurice D       NY      26
Hobson  David   R       OH      7
Hoyer   Steny   D       MD      5
Istook  Ernest  R       OK      5
Jackson Jesse   D       IL      2
Kaptur  Marcy   D       OH      9
Kennedy Patrick  D      RI      1
Kilpatrick Carolyn D    MI      15
Kingston Jack   R       GA      1
Knollenberg Joseph R    MI      11
Kolbe   Jim     R       AZ      5
LaHood  Ray     R       IL      18
Latham  Tom     R       IA      5
Lewis   Jerry   R       CA      40
Lowey   Nita    D       NY      18
Meek    Carrie  D       FL      17
Miller  Dan     R       FL      13
Mollohan Alan   D       WV      1
Moran   James   D       VA      8
Murtha  John    D       PA      12
Nethercutt George R     WA      5
Northup Anne    R       KY      3
Obey    David   D       WI      7
Olver   John    D       MA      1
Pastor  Ed      D       AZ      2
Pelosi  Nancy   D       CA      8
Peterson John   R       PA      5
Price   David   D       NC      4
Regula  Ralph   R       OH      16
Rogers  Harold  R       KY      5
Rothman Steven D        NJ      9
Roybal-Allard Lucille   D       CA      33
Sabo  Martin    D       MN      5
Serrano  Jose   D       NY      16
Sherwood Don    R       PA      10
Skeen   Joe     R       NM      2
Sununu  John    R       NH      1
Sweeney John    R       NY      22
Taylor  Charles R       NC      11
Tiahrt  Todd    R       KS      4
Visclosky Peter D       IN      1
Vitter  David   R       LA      1
Wamp    Zach    R       TN      3
Wicker  Roger   R       MS      1
Wolf    Frank   R       VA      10
Young   C.W.    R       FL      10
Representative C.W. (Bill) Young, R-FL is Chairman and Representative
David Obey, D-WI, the Ranking Member of the Committee.

The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense is responsible for
Department of Defense appropriations including the Army Medical Research
and Materiel Command Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment Program (NETRP). PAN
is seeking $50 million for the NETRP for fiscal year 2002.

 NAME           PARTY   STATE   DISTRICT
Bonilla Henry   R       TX      23
Cunningham Randy R      CA      51
Frelinghuysen Rodney    R       NJ      11
Hobson  David   R       OH      7
Istook  Ernest  R       OK      5
Lewis   Jerry   R       CA      40
Moran   James   D       VA      8
Murtha  John    D       PA      12
Nethercutt George R     WA      5
Sabo    Martin  D       MN      5
Skeen   Joe     R       NM      2
Visclosky Peter D       IN      1
Young   C.W.    R       FL      10

Representative Jerry Lewis, R-CA, is the Chairman and Representative John
Murtha, D-PA is Ranking Member of the Committee.