 I cannot take
> comfort in the idea that there is an all-powerful deity who would permit
> the devastation of September 11 to take place.

Ken, I'm going to be foolish enough to respond to your age-old question.
I'm probably not going to get it right, but I'll try.

Scripture tells us that the Creator of the Universe loved humankind so much
that we were given a free well.  That's what the story of the Garden of Eden
is all about.  God gave us everything, but we decided that 'the grass was
greener on the other side of the apple,' so we disobeyed the very, very
first commandment.  We didn't believe that God would actually be telling us
the truth when He said that we would die if we ate the fruit.  God was
right.....we were wrong.  We do die now (spiritually and figuratively) -
amazingly frequently at the hand of others who choose not to believe in the
fifth commandment.

So, when evil acts on the part of our fellow humans brings horrific misery
and pain, we turn to the God of love to bring us peace in the midst of our
tribulation.  We also ask that God sends Grace to those in pain and  those
who cannot pray because of their situation, to bring them an extra measure
in strength and peace.  In a sense, for those of us who believe,  to be in
the presence of God in a terrible time such as this is to briefly return to
the Garden where all lived in peace and tranquility.  It is an effort to
escape from evil by being in the presence of ultimate Good.
-------
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 61/21)