In a message dated 9/14/01 12:29:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< The best response I've come across is that while we
 conceive of God (however we define him/her/it } as powerful  if one
 believes that God gives humans "free will" then we are equally free
 to do evil as well as good.  This same question  has of course been
 asked about the Holocaust, slavery, the killing fields of Cambodia,
 the deaths of innocents everywhere, and on and on----
 I guess my simplest answer would be that I believe God gives us the
 power to love, but it is up to us to use that power.  Don't know if
 that even "speaks to your condition" !   <G>
 --
         Camilla Flintermann >>

Once again, thank you, Camilla.  You have spoken succinctly a truth by which
(I perceive) you live.   When I first read Ken's post I was searching for the
right words and/or approach and, to tell the truth he caught me up short as I
am constantly praying in this situation.  Free will is a hard concept for
many folks and at the heart of faith.

Virginia Christiansen
Rochester, MN