At 09:34 AM 9/15/01 -0400, you wrote:
>My grandfather, yes my grandfather, fought in the Civil War and was wounded
>in three different battles, was patched up and returned to the front two
>times.  While at Stone's River, Tenn. he received a telegram that his wife
>age 31 had died the night before.  That left him with 2 small children ages 4
>and 2.  He asked for leave to go home and make arrangements for their care,
>which he did. He returned to battle and received his final wound at
>Chattanooga.  My brother fought in WWI and was called up in WWII. My nephew
>flew a Hellcat from a carrier in WWII. Only close friends were in the Korean
>conflict and at NAM but nevertheless I mourned the losses our nation
>suffered.  We must unite behind our president.  This is not the time to
>criticize!  This current assault against our freedom is unprecedented and we
>will retaliate but we must let our leaders lead and not stand in the way of
>their actions.  Our enemies are encouraged by the criticisms we direct at our
>president.  This is so much worse than Pearl Harbor and I don't recall there
>being any demonstrations against the decision to declare war by President
>Roosevelt.  One person on the List has expressed dismay that we are spending
>time discussing the happenings of the past week.  He says there are other
>places to do this.  Have you tried a chat line?  There are anti-American
>people who use those chats to vent their hatred for America and I for one
>will not enter into a discussion where our country is trashed such as I saw
>the past two days.  This was supposedly a chat line discussing news from the
>"right".  That's all I have to say today.  I am continuing to pray and fly my
>flag.  Does anyone know if they will accept blood from one with PD?  Marilyn

To Marilyn
         I fully agree with everything you have written. I  had 2 uncles in
WWII. I had a friend killed in Korea. I have served in the Marine Corps.
There could not be many more thoughtful patriots than myself.  If you refer
to what I wrote as expressing dismay over the discussion of the terrible
events of the past week, please re-read it as well as the messages in total
that triggered my response.. My criticism was directed toward certain
comments made, such as "Those who relied on the fantasy of a ' missile
shield' to protect us have had a stunning wake-up call today."  or  "ours
is not to condemn, ours is not to accuse, ours is not to judge, ours is to
learn to be loved, ours is to be love."
         The first writer opined that  for our country to attempt to put in
place a defense against incoming missiles equates to violence, and defense
expenditures should be directed toward PD research. At present we do not
have a missile shield. The second states in effect that any deed, no matter
how heinous should not be condemned, the perpetrators not accused nor
judged. Does any rational person believe that these extremists  would love
Christians, or indeed any part of western culture under any circumstance?
They only respect strength. The first is what I called pacifist drivel. The
second is what I termed "claptrap". In the eyes of the extremist murderers
western civilization is the work of the devil and should be extirpated
completely, which means you and I. Try giving one of them a loving hug!
         I know exactly what you mean about the chat rooms and other lists.
One of my interests has been study of  World War II, and I gave up on that
particular list because I became tired of verbally battling the
anti-American diatribes from overseas --and some from just beyond our
national borders. I hope that in the next few weeks that this forum can get
back to what I believed to be its purpose. I suppose that there are many PD
sufferers who are jaded with reading about the PD experiences of others. As
I was diagnosed only 2 years ago, and have just in the past month
discovered this list, I want to compare medication and symptoms. I really
do not wish to engage in controversy but I think that comments such as the
ones I quote above do not belong here, and for that matter, neither do my
comments about them....I just feel compelled to respond.
                                 Don Adams