>we realize that a significant portion of the Afghan population does not
>recognize the Taliban, are in rebellion and control a significant, though
>small, portion of the countryside. These are some of the people that the U.
>S. supplied with material to resist the Soviets.

I don't want to get involved in a long diatribe. The US helped the Talibans
take over Afghanistan, thinking they would restore some order since they
were against the USSR. The Afghan people also fought the russians.It had a
governement that was trying to help the country into the then 20th century.
The Talibans took that country into some dark age. Some western countries
were aware of the situation in Afghanistan but did not do much for
Afghanistan was not an important power: most of its population injured or
refugeed. The rest starving with some still fighting and trying to get out
of this crazy view of Islam that the Talibans impose. Even non governmental
organization   could not do much for that country because the Talibans
would not let them. The Afghan people consists of several different ethnic
groups and since radio, TV and newspapers are banned, I should think they
cannot have an impartial idea of the present events
Maryse