Date sent:              Tue, 18 Sep 2001 20:04:06 -0700
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Bernard Barber,Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Fwd: Rabbi Michael Lerner
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Here is another point of view, with the hope that we can allow
> ourselves to try to understand other perspectives. Perhaps, after much
> thought we can make a decision that we can all accept.
>

> >>A World Out of Touch With Itself:
> >>Where the Violence Comes From
> >>
> >>by Rabbi Michael Lerner.
> >>Editor, TIKKUN Magazine

Bernie sent Rabbi Lerner's editorial to me privately, also.  Here is my
response to Bernie:

Bernie,

I can understand Rabbi Lerner's point of view, and I do agree with his
basic attitude.  But, we live in a practical world, and I am cynical
enough to believe that it will take more than a world "revival" to
change
the views of zealots whose theology and political grounding is in the
Sixth Century.

When we unleashed our power on Khadafy's Libya (and apparently
killed one of his offspring), he quieted down quite a bit.  The terrorists
cannot survive if they have no shelter; and whatever is done now
should be
directed against the governments who support people like Bin Laden.
We
could kill a thousand Bin Ladens, and more would step up to take their
place; but if we get the message to the states which harbor these
people
that it will be disaster to them if they support the terrorists, we might
get somewhere.  They will certainly not "love us"; but they never will
anyway.  They need to *fear* us, sad as that may sound.

Yes, innocent civilians will suffer.  But, so did the civilians in Germany
and Japan during WW II.  There has been no movement within, say,
Afghanistan, and a minimal, if any movement, say, within Iraq, to
overthrow the oppressive governments involved; and so, until the
governments are crippled or destroyed, the people will suffer unless
they
rise up against their leaders.

I respect Rabbi Lerner for his position, but I believe that he is wrong.
I have heard such polemics about "peace" and "compassion" before
many
times, including those who urged restraint and "negotiation" with folks
such as Hitler.  You and I are both old enough to know what that
brought
us.

We need to destroy those who have supported these human animals.
And we need to do it in such a way that anyone who wishes to follow
with further support will think twice.

Best,

Bob

=====================================

Rabbi Lerner is a good man.  I respect those who would like to solve
this problem peacefully.  But, I believe, this has been taken out of our
hands by the horrible acts that occurred last week, and that there will
be more blood shed before this matter is settled.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"