I am a new subscriber the this network. I would like to briefly share my
story-----
My dear sister was diagnosed with young onset Parkinson's about 12 years ago.
She has had excellent care-including a pallidotomy AND Deep Brain Stimulation
over the years- but each operation was minimally successful, at best. She
currently receives Botox injections for severe dystonia about once evry 3
months.
While degenerative, things appeared "handlable" till about 3 years ago--at
this time my sister began experinecing classic symptoms of
psychoses-including paranoid delusions. Believe me when I say that these
HORRIFIC psychological manifestations are worse than her physical symptoms. I
want to share this: We have been told in no uncertain temrs that the
psychoses is a side effect of the YEARsof Sinamet and related agonists over
the years. This side effect does not afflict ALL Parkinson's sufferers, but
it DOES happen. The problem is that the patient certainly cannot stop the
Sinamet. While an antipsychotic drug helps somewhat. the psychoticsymtoms are
OVERWHLEMING AND HORRIFIC-you would not believe what her mind thinks os real
and of course the actions she makes based on these ddelusions.  In addition,
since the Parkinson's continues to progress,my sister is also showing signs
of "Parkinson's dementia"-again, this does not happen to ALL PD patients, but
it sdoes to some. This includes poor judgement and reasoning capabilities,
dofficulty with ligical thinkging, etc. So, as you can see, the Parkinson's
has not only attacked my sister physically, but psychologically as well.  Our
lives have been FOREVER changed, adn there appears to be no solution.
 My plea--Have ANY OF YOU had experience with not only the physical aspect
but also the impact-as the disease has progressed- of the HORRIFIC Psychoses
wrought by medication and the advancement of the disease???? MY sister, while
not an immenent danger to self or others,  cannot be helped in a supportive
envoronment (such as assisted living, etc) without her concent and of course
she refuses this help (this is part of the mental side of the illness).
Guardianship CANNOT happen until she is deemed incompetent by the state-but
because she is not a "danger" to self or others, she cannot be committed for
help.
 Our family's faith, binds. and emotional stamina is almost completely
broken--DOES ANYONE HAVE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THIS??????? Thank you all
for listening, .........and I am eagerly awaiting your responses