Hallucinations may be encountered in the later stages of Parkinson's
Disease.  They are made worse by almost any of the antiparkinsonian
medications - those containing levodopa, the agonists, the anticholinergic
drugs, and amantadine.

In so far as I know, the drugs do not CAUSE the tendency for hallucinations,
but sure do make the hallucinations worse.  The hallucinations are part of
the advancing disease and dementia.  They were well described even in the
1880's (yes, more than a century ago), even before any of the current
antiparkinsonian drugs were ever used.

If the dose of antiparkinsonian drugs cannot be adjusted downward, there are
two antipsychotic drugs that seem to be particularly useful:  quetiapine
(Seroquel), and clozapine (Clozaril).  Most of the others seem to make the
motor symptoms of PD worse, including olanzapine (Zyprexa) and risperidone
(Risperdol), and the more classic tranquilizers and antipsychotic drugs.
(The dose of quetiapine may be as high as 400 to 800 mg per day, although it
is best to begin with lower doses to see if they are effective.  In my
experience, doses as low as 25 to 50 mg have been dramatically helpful in
some patients.  It is best to start low and go slow.)

In the most severe cases, one has to make a judgement concerning the lesser
of two evils.  If the hallucinations are so distressing, perhaps one has to
sacrifice the therapeutic effect of the antiparkinsonian drugs in order to
reduce the hallucinations and improve the overall quality of life.  It may
be a hard choice sometimes, but I have usually favored the improvement in
mental symptoms as a higher priority than the improvement in motor symptoms.
Most PWP that I have treated with this problem seem to agree - a clear mind
without distress is more important than relief of rigidity and
bradykinesia - if the choice must be made.

These issues can and should be discussed with your neurologist.

Jorge Romero, MD