Sharon,

Your sister seems to be demonstating many of the symptons
that my wife has experienced over her 27 year fight with PD.
She is now 56 years old.

Like your sister she has had a pallidotomy with very good
results. Dyskinesia was virtually eliminated. Tremor has
been minor and manages well with medication. While few
patients seem to progress in the same way. Here is how we
deal with some of the symptoms you describe.

1. For the hallucinations and unusual behavior clozaril
taken before bedtime is one of the few meds that works with
out side effects on the other PD meds. Many neurologists
won't prescribe it and will rely on a pychiatrist for input
on that. We have found a GP who now prescibes it. It does
require blood testing every two weeks for potential white
blood cell count deficits.  In six years we have not had a
problem with this.

2. Reducing the high levels of sinemet that are needed seems
to be a good thing to pursue. After testing Bromocriptine
and Mirapex, and Requip we have returned to Permax as the
best agonist.

3. The COMT inhibitors do work for Nancy and we have found
Comtan to be the best. It has allowed her to reduce sinemet
intake by almost 50%.

4. Panic attacks occur infrequently but result in very testy
behavior patterns and unpleasantness. Ativan reigns in the
panic in abot 20 minutes which is often followed by periods
of rest/sleep and return to PD normal.

5. For reasons still unexplainable amantadine is a mainstay
in my wife's medicines. It just seems to enable all the
others. When she eliminates amantadine, all her phsical
symptoms increase and then the pyschological frustrations
associated with the physical losses often worsen. Amantadine
has a few side effects like water retention and blotchy legs
but these have not presented major challenges .

I don't know what your sister takes so it is difficult to
say much more. Hope this is helpful.

Bob Martone
http://www.samlink.com/~bmartone