In a message dated 9/16/01 6:50:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The problem is that the patient certainly cannot stop the
> Sinamet. While an antipsychotic drug helps somewhat. the psychoticsymtoms

That's what we were told, too, but a few months ago my uncle was taken off
Sinemet and put on Mirapex.  He showed a great deal of improvement.
Unfortunately, my Mother is one of the thirty percent who develop the
dementia.  Her neuro switched her to the generic Carbidopa-Levidopa which
helped a little.  We've tried several anti-hallucintory drugs, but for some
reason she reacts exactly the opposite to whatever the medication is supposed
to do.  Right now she is taking Exelon which is an Alzheimer's medication.  I
haven't seen much difference, but her Dr. wants her to stay on it 'til her
next visit in Nov. since it can't do any harm, so we'll see.
I don't know if taking your sister off her Sinemet is possible or would do
any good.  I don't know if the effects are reversible.  My uncle hadn't had
any signs of dementia, but he had other symptoms that were helped when his
meds were changed.
Eleanor