I  vowed  I would shut up,, but have one more response re Don calling me a
history "buff'.  This was no hobby, it was a calling and a job.  I was a
public school teacher in two inner-city schools for 26 yrs.  My colleagues
and I had to maintain peace and order while educating our students armed with
nothing but our wits.  I had great students, but some who were angry and
destructive.  I once chased an intruder who threatened my class with a chair.
 Another teacher had a class held hostage.  Another student was shot in
class. One of my colleagues stood between gangs of armed Samoan and Black
students to stop a fight.  She had no gun.  A security guard was disemboweled
outside our school.  I took a student who had been stabbed in he eye with a
pen to the nurse's office.  This was all over 10 yrs ago.   Dave Moreland's
sister Mary stills teaches at this same school.   I've heard from others
since I retired that it has gotten worse.

Surely we have not forgotten the recent violence in our schools where
students have killed teachers and students.  Recent events present an
unprecedented challenge to our intelligence, patience and resolve.  I don't
think people are interested in the historical causes of our situation.  I
feel like the guy on MSNBC town meeting last night who lost his brother on
Pan Am over Lockerbie.  He has been after the Congress to do something about
airport security ever since.  Nobody paid attention and he is so upset and so
am I.

I am just praying that the President, his advisors and allies use their heads
and that someone in the portals of power have learned some lessons from
history.

If I didn't have PD I'd be back in the "trenches" at school.  I am not
sitting in an ivory tower mulling over the past at my leisure.