ACTION ALERT September 18th

We have reason to believe that the House Labor, Health and Human Services
Appropriations may go to mark up this Thursday.  We need your help to
contact these targeted members and urge them to fully fund the NIH’s
Parkinson’s Research Agenda.  Working together - We can make a
difference.

We realize that last week’s terrorist attacks have changed the
environment throughout Washington as well as the Nation and that the
Country’s top priority now is national security.  Our thoughts are with
the people in New York City and at the Pentagon. However, President Bush
has asked the Nation to get back to “business as usual” and we here are
trying to do just that.

Our suggestion is that you modify your request for funding by stating:

“I / We realize that our request is secondary to last weeks events.
However, I am calling to respectfully request that you fully support the
NIH’s Parkinson’s Five Year Research Agenda, by funding an additional $
143.5 million for year two of the Research Agenda.”

Please see the talking points below and the roster of targeted House
members and if you are a constituent, please call or send this on to
others who may reside in those targeted districts.

Thank you,
Laura Eckart
Parkinson's Action Network

House Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services
Membership* as of 9/5/01 The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor,
Health and Human Services, and Education is responsible for
appropriations for the National Institutes of Health (NIH). PAN is
seeking $143.5 million for year two of the NIH's five year Parkinson's
Research Agenda.
LAST NAME       FIRST NAME      PARTY   STATE   DISTRICT
Bonilla Henry   R       TX      23
Cunningham      Randy   R       CA      51
Istook  Ernest  R       OK      5
Young   C.W.    R       FL      10
DeLauro Rosa    D       CT      3
Hoyer   Steny   D       MD      5
Jackson Jesse   D       IL      2
Lowey   Nita    D       NY      18
Miller  Dan     R       FL      13
Northup Anne    R       KY      3
Obey    David   D       WI      7
Pelosi  Nancy   D       CA      8
Regula  Ralph   R       OH      16
Wicker  Roger   R       MS      1

Representative Ralph Regula, R-OH, is Chairman and Representative David
Obey, D-WI, is the Ranking Member on the Committee.

Dated: September 6, 2001 Talking Points
NIH Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2002

Background: In mid September, lawmakers will begin drafting
appropriations bills for fiscal year 2002, including the bill that funds
the National Institutes Health (NIH). It is crucial for advocates - - in
particular constituents - - to call members of Congress who serve on the
subcommittee that decides on the funding for NIH to urge them to
aggressively fund Parkinson's Research. We are looking to fund Year-Two
of NIH's Five-Year Parkinson's Research Agenda. The Agenda calls for a
$143.5 increase for Fiscal Year 2002 (Year Two).
Talking Points:
·       [Note: When making calls, always start by identify yourself as a
constituent of the Congressperson's district or Senator's home state.]
·       [Explain your personal connection to Parkinson's disease and how the
disease has affected you and your family.]
·       We are calling today to ask [Congressman/woman or Senator (name)] to
support NIH's Five-Year Research Agenda for Parkinson's. NIH developed
this Research Agenda by working with our nation's leading scientists. We
ask that it be fully funded with a $143.5 for Parkinson's research for
fiscal year 2002.
·       Our Nation's Scientists are making great progress in Parkinson's
Research. The promise of more effective treatments and a cure has created
tremendous optimism among the Parkinson's community.
·       With adequate funding, the NIH believes a cure for Parkinson's can be
expected in five years. This truly is a matter of life of death for the
one million Americans who suffer from Parkinson's.
·       Also, investing in a cure for this disease also makes good financial
sense. Parkinson's is estimated to cost the United States $25 billion a
year.
·       To make our goal of finding a cure a reality, we ask [Congressman/woman
or Senator (last name)] to support the doubling of the NIH's budget and
the Parkinson's Research Agenda.
·       Finally, we ask [Congressman/woman or Senator (name)] to provide
leadership in working with the NIH, in order to ensure that the NIH is
aggressively implementing the Parkinson's Research Agenda.
·       Can we count on your support? How does [Congressman/woman or Senator
(name)] intend to vote on this issue?
·       Thank you for your time and consideration. I would like to leave my
name, address and phone number so that I can hear back on this critical
issue.