Hi Camilla-It's been a busy few days -but I do wish to respond to your last
message!!!
Yes, my sister has tried every alternative antipsychotic med you mentioned.
She responds most optrmally to Seroquil but remmeber, compliance on her part
is certainly questionable.
Her actual psychotic behaviors wax and wane--many times she will seem quite
lucid and has good days. However, the dementia/delusions are always there,
"lurking underneath". We do have input of her caseworker (who works with her
very closely-almost a daily basis)  and competent legal advice as well. Of
course I agree with your statement wholeheartedly that her manifestations are
take a significant emotional toll on the children-and exspouse as well.
Unfortunately, this does not constitute legal competency. The legal
parameters of competency are pretty universal and VERY TIGHT-and that is the
person must render immediate PYSICAL threat or harm to self or others. I know
the line is drwan to overly protect the rights of those afflicted, but I sure
think it compromises heavily the toll it takes on family members and those
trying to help her-
While Sandra's doctors may certainly make recommendations and HIGHLY SUGGEST
she follow through, at this time she cannot be forced to do so, since she is
still her own "decision-maker" as it were. Believe me, we have wrestled with
these issues and unbelievable legalities-and we are "stuck" at this point.
Our other option, which the caseworker is working toward, is to guide my
sister into accepting a guardianship WITHOUT CONTESTING IT -at this point
this is the only way it can happen so that I may make the necessary medical
decisions for Sandra. This process might take awhile (since Sandra adamantly
REFUSES help-thinking she can still handle most things on her own, etc) but
the caseworker is slowly working with her to come to this conclusion  on her
own.
Thank youfor your interest and concern----my initial responses have whittleld
down to pretty much you- and for that I am grateful!!!!!! Regards, Sharon