On 20 Sep 2001, at 8:13, maryse schild wrote:

> WEDNESDAY, Sept. 12 (HealthScoutNews) -- A bacteria commonly
> found in soil may trigger Parkinson's disease, says a new study.
>
> The bacteria Nocardia asteroides causes permanent changes in brain
> chemistry and produces tremors and muscle rigidity in some
> laboratory animals, the researchers report.
>
> "This could potentially be very significant," says lead study
> researcher Blaine Beaman, professor of medical microbiology at
> University of California at Davis. "If Nocardia is involved in the
> development of Parkinson's disease -- and I think it is
SNIP

Thank you Maryse,
Apparently Blaine Beaman has been chasing this theory for some
time...
http://medmicro.ucdavis.edu/faculty/beaman.html

He was here in Vancouver at Pharmacology Vancouver 2001...
Role of Nocardia in idiopathic parkinsonism:
clues from mice and men. Blaine Beaman (US)
http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/p2001mtg/prelprg.htm

Dr. Judith Kjelstrom also studied this...
Dr. Kjelstrom completed her internship in Medical Technology from the
University of California, Davis Medical Center.  She spent more than 12
years in clinical medicine, specializing in chemistry and microbiology.
She left the hospital to pursue a doctoral degree in Microbiology from
UC, Davis.  Her research emphasis was the immunological detection of
sub clinical infections by the soil microbe: Nocardia asteroides. This
work was in conjunction with the ongoing work of Dr. Blaine Beaman of
the School of Medicine in linking Parkinson’s Disease to chronic
nocardiosis.  Their findings were published in a 1994 clinical text:
Neurodegenerative Disease by Calne, as well as two scientific journals:
Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. (1993) and Journal of Clinical
Microbiology (1995).
http://www.modchamber.org/progress/mar01/mar01_5.htm

I've also seen this mentioned here...
http://www.manbir-online.com/htm2/parkin_news.htm

and I'm pretty sure it was covered and "debunked" in Health Canada's
very detailed 1999 paper...
Monograph Series on Aging-related Diseases:
XII. Parkinson’s Disease—Recent Developments and New Directions
Natalie Kontakos and Julie Stokes
Volume 20, No. 2 - 1999
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpb/lcdc/publicat/cdic/cdic202/cd202b_e.html

"Numerous studies have failed to find an association between PD and a
variety of common viruses and bacteria. Chicken pox, measles, rubella,
mumps, the Spanish flu45 and the Nocardia species76 were all found to
be unrelated to PD in recent studies."

76. Hubble JP, Cao T, Kjelstrom JA, et al. Nocardia species as an
etiologic agent in Parkinson’s disease: serological testing in a case-
control study. J Clin Microbiol 1995;33:2768–9.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Dr. Caroline Tanner of the Parkinson
Institute was also studying nocardia in relation to parkinson's...

Perhaps someone on the list may know for sure...

Sooo... this is a new study of an old theory methinks...

Cheers ....... murray