I know it is difficult to stereotype a segment of our diversified
population. So I wouldn't even try. What I would like to relate is how my
generation, my age group, and my class dealt with self expression.

I'm in the 70 - 80 age group, I went through the Depression of the 30s,
along with the drought, World War II, and the Golden Years of the 50s, and
where we had the attitudes that all was possible. The GI Bill allowed many
to obtain an education. Those folks who experienced the War directly, were
less prone to accept the dictums of the academics. Professors were
challenged, they were very different than the College and University
students of the prior to the War group. In a very real sense the value of
Life and the value of self expression was expressed by virtue of their own
life experiences and values.

I went to an International Graduate School in Sweden, the student body was
made up of English Speaking Students, many  were veterans. I was curious as
to why some Professors were interested in teaching the Students who would
question and would confront ? Their response was they liked the sense of
freedom and openness of dialogue. Students were learning about other
students and Faculty Members. So, here we were really learning, really
interacting and really appreciating each other.

I would not like to see the list become a list police state, I would not
like to see the loss of life that would occur if we were limited in our
self expressions. I value the diversity of opinion, but I do not like it
when it gets filled with personal attacks. Our motto must be " I will treat
others as I wish to be treated".

So what if we talk about pink flamingos, cats or dogs or what ever, and so
what if we talk about the tragedy of September 11th ? That's who we are and
that's what makes this list so important to many people all over the world.

The list is for PEOPLE with Parkinson's, and not Parkinson's Patients.

Bernie Barber