On 25 Sep 01, at 13:14, bdouglas wrote:

> This is for the person who asked where to obtain L-dopa (without the
> carbidopa).  I asked Dr. Lieberman and he said that L-dopa is no
> longer available by itself.  He said in the past, it was available
> that way, but no longer.  He did suggest the use of Fava beans as an
> alternative.

You must consume pounds and pounds of fava beans to get a
significant amount of l-DOPA.  Also, there is a group of people,
mostly of Mediterranean origin, who can get a serious blood disorder
(called "favism") from eating fava beans.  They lack an enzyme and
this condition is hereditary.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Professional Corporation
2500 Milvia Street   Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.rafink.com>
mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"