Dear listmembers,

As you all  must have noticed there has been almost no discussion on the
list the last few days -- at a time when people most need to connect with
others and support one another. I would like to share a letter i sent to
John Cottingham and Barbara Patterson a few days ago about this list and
the role it could be playing in the healing process.  I originally
intended to keep it private, but after reading a new   member's eloquent
comments in response to John's "Yes or No" message, I believe this
conversation should  be opened up. Does this have anything to do with PD?
 Maybe.  Has anyone else noticed worsening symptoms the last two weeks?
PD symptoms are affected by stress levels for many PWP.

Following my letter is the welcome letter from Barbara Patterson that had
been sent to all new  members to explain "What is the Parkinsn list?" I
hope you will all read it.

Hang in there, Barb.
Best to all,
Linda
Dear Barb and John,
As a long-time parkinsn list member who has seen the list weather it's
ups and downs over the last 5 years, I fully understand your reasons for
limiting list postings to only parkinson's related items, and under most
circumstances fully support it.
However we are under very extraordinary circumstances especially in the
US right now. Even those who weren't near NYC or Washington and were
fortunate not to lose anyone close have been traumatized by the attacks
and fearful of what may happen next. At such a time, it is normal for
people to seek out others for support. If you read anything about coping
strategies they all mention the importance of seeking support of others,
talking about the tragedy, sharing emotions, fears, etc. Many people have
found some solace attending prayer services, community memorials, or just
talking to their neighbors, friends and co-workers.
The parkinsn list is a community in every sense of the term for many of
us. There are also many members who are mostly isolated, perhaps due to
their PD, and lack other support systems. Many of us have found it
difficult to think about other issues, even about our ever- present
diseaase. Perhaps you've noticed a decrease in postings.
I am asking you to reconsider your decision and open the list to
discussion about the tragedy and its aftermath. I think having this
outlet would be important to many list members. I would add though that
individuals or groups should not be tolerated . I understand this may be
diffficult for you to monitor, but perhaps by appealing to list members
for some self-control and self-monitoring it could be workable.
What do you think?
Thanks for listening,
Linda
Information Exchange Network (PIEnet).

Please send a message to the list members (if you want to) introducing
yourself and any Parkinson's-related topics you would like.

Let me introduce myself. I am a secretary for four faculty members in the
School of Nursing, McMaster University.  In September, 1992, I was
diagnosed as having Parkinson's ... hence my interest in this list.

My purpose in starting the list was the exchange of information about
Parkinson's. The list rapidly changed into the largest support group I
know.  Besides its original purpose, the list has become 'a means of
feeling connected' to others... a way of feeling we're not alone... of
making the road of living with pd easier to bear.

I have always felt that we hear each other better on the list because we
can't  see each other.  Symptoms, age, colour, race, don't interfere.
The list knows no countries, has nothing to do with money... there's no
"what's in it for me?"

But these same qualities mean our words are open to misinterpretation.
Since others can't see our wry smile or wink or hear our tone of voice, a
goal of  keeping it "short & sweet" can result in appearing abrupt.

Also, the same word can have different meanings and different shades of
meaning to different people in different areas of the world so care must
be taken in both your writing and your reading of the messages.

Flaming and selling are not allowed.  Please send messages in plain text
only.  Do not make any changes in medication or any treatments without
consulting your physician.  Be kind.  Be honest.  Share the time
fairly.... if you think you have taken more than your share of the list
resources, you just might have.

Keep it generally related to Parkinson's. Don't abuse the generosity of
the University of Toronto's free gift of the list. Don't include all of
the message to which you are replying. Use plain text with no
attachments. Wash your hands with soap before you eat. :) In other words,
use the same common courtesy that you would elsewhere.

We need everyone's voices if we are going to make a difference in the
care and treatment of pd and the motivation and funding of research.
Speak up. Tell your story. Ask your questions. Answer questions.
Debate/argue about the answers. Debate/argue about the goals,
administration, day-to-day functioning of the list. Tell a joke... but
please don't attempt to silence anyone else's voice.

The messages on the Parkinsn list may be personal but they are NOT
private... never have been. The illusion of privacy when using e-mail is
just that:  an illusion.

Never, in the history of this planet, has this kind of relationship
existed. We meet in a place that has no walls. We talk to our friends
whom we have never seen. We care deeply for other members whom we will
never physically hug. Folks, we're making it up as we go along, so any
rules have to be flexible.

 I hope you enjoy your involvement with the Parkinsn Information Exchange
Network.

 Barb>>