Van: "Linda J Herman" <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: <[log in to unmask]>
Verzonden: dinsdag 25 september 2001 12:40
Onderwerp: What is the Parkinsn list

Hi Linda & all,

>>> I am asking you to reconsider your decision and open the list to
discussion about the tragedy and its aftermath. I think having this outlet
would be important to many list members. <<<

I agree with John Cottingham that it was time to get "back to business",
just as Bush also suggested.
The discussion about the WTC tragedy had IMO in some posts a growing
tendency to become more hostile, etc. than acceptable.

There may have been a risk of another list-war, as can easily arise -as we
know from experience- on this list, certainly since emotions were
(understandably) very strong considering the tragic subject.

>>> I would add though that responses to postings that include any flaming,
or hostile comments about
individuals or groups should not be tolerated. I understand this may be
diffficult for you to monitor, but perhaps by appealing to list members for
some self-control and self-monitoring it could be workable. <<<

Appealing upon the self-control of list-members didn't have much success in
the past. That's where the list-owner takes responsibility, not an easy
task, to choose the moment when to guide the members somewhat back into the
original direction of the list.

Members of PARKINSN are of course welcome to join Sparkle and discuss the
WTC tragedy as much as one wants, as long as one keeps in mind that flaming
and other hostile comments are also not tolerated on Sparkle.

Those interested can join Sparkle by sending a (blank) email to

Hans.