Kathleen Cochran wrote:
> Hello Kathrynne,
> Having read your fava page, I have a question regarding MAO inhibitors: Are
> there differences between MAO-A and MAO-B inhibitors, insofar as food
> interactions are concerned?

Hi Kathleen,
Yes, persons using MAO-A inhibitors in amounts greater than 10 mg per
day should avoid foods high in pressor agents (tyramine, dopamine,
phenylethylamine). These include aged cheeses and meats, salami, soy
sauce, soy beans and fermented soy beans, fava beans, sauerkraut, tap
beer (use bottled beer and wines with caution).

Selegeline is an MAO-B inhibitor, and is often used in combination with
levodopa. Neurologists usually prescribe 5-10 mg selegeline per day for
people with PD. A pharmacist colleague tells me that this is not thought
to pose a problem.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Ask the Parkinson Dietitian"
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/