From: "Nina P. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Jorge A Romero MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: WHERE TO PURCHASE L--DOPA?

Thanks for your reply. I did ask the neurologist and he said people have
been
able to get it in a few days. Neither my pharmacist, Walgren's or Eckards
said
that their suppliers could get it for them. I will try #2 tomorrow.

I know it will take more l-dopa than Sinement because of the breakdown, but
the
reason we are trying l-dopa is to titrate the Sinement down. I'm taking 1/2
of
a 25/100 every three hours to function and have dyskinesias. We were going
try the l-dopa equivalent of 1/3 of a Sinement because the Sinement would be
too
difficult to cut properly and later try to increase my mirapex to see if we
could ease the dyskinesias.

Thanks for your reply.
nina

Jorge A Romero MD wrote:

> I do not know where you can get levodopa, but I have some suggestions:
>
> 1) Ask the neurologist who prescribed it.
> 2) Write or call Dupont or Mylan or Athena, who make the brand name and
> generics for products containing levodopa, if it is possible to get the
> levodopa alone directly from them. They might be able to give you the name
> of a local supplier.
> 3) Ask your pharmacist whether, even if it is not in stock, it may be
> special ordered.
>
> It seems to me, however, that the same effect should be possible by
reducing
> the dose of Sinemet. Using levodopa alone merely decreases the amount that
> gets to the brain by allowing the drug to be broken down outside the
brain.
> One reason that levodopa is not used alone is that such "peripheral"
> breakdown is associated with more side effects, such as dizziness and
> nausea.
>
> Jorge A Romero

mailto:[log in to unmask]