On September 28, 2001 Rayilyn Brown wrote:

> Since I seem to be the only "exerciser" it was good to see some support
for
> my approach, altho this article only mentions Alzheimers.  If interersted
> take a look.
> http://www.the-scientist.com/yr2001/may/research2_010528.html

Rayilyn, you are not the only "exerciser", although it does seem that
exercise is not given enough emphasis in terms of slowing the progression of
PD and / or helping us cope with PD.

I believe that exercise provides many benefits, physical and mental.  Five
to six days a week, I walk 3 1/2 miles, up and down hills, in about an hour.
I then work out for approx. 30 minutes on my Total Gym.   In addition, I
spend numerous hours each week maintaining my property and undertaking other
strenuous activities.  The results?  I feel good most of the time.  My blood
pressure had been high, but now is very good.  My doctor has advised me to
keep up my exercise routine.  It is difficult to know the benefits regarding
PD.  In the past 1 1/2 years, there has been very little change in my
symptoms.  Although I cannot be certain that the exercise has helped in this
regard, it is my opinion that it has been of significant benefit.  At times
it is not easy to keep physically active, but I think it is worth the effort
and pain.  I am certain that it has helped me maintain a positive attitude.

Dave Bergford
60 now / 58 dx. / 55 onset