>In the past few years, SFU has graduated a fair number of MA and PhD
>students who specialized in Rhetoric & Writing.  Both PhDs have acquired
>permanent jobs (in a medical school and a faculty of applied sciences).  At
>least a couple of the MAs also acquired permanent fulltime jobs.  And I
>believe all the MAs have found considerable work teaching writing.  Despite
>last year's extraordinary political chaos, we expect to graduate at least
>two more PhDs and an MA in the next year or two.  (By the way, the SFU's
>political conflicts seem well on the way to resolution; colleagues are
>collegial again, and I'm hopeful all major outstanding conflicts (e.g.,
>over the graduate program) will be resolved in the next two to four months.)
>
>Rick

Amanda,

I have been on-line looking at jobs in the Chronical of Higher Education
and noticed a huge demand for composition and rhetoric tenure track
positions in the States  - as well, they cross many boundaries from
communications and professional faculties to the traditional English
departments.

I think there is ample evidence for a "market"  -  what it actually means
or calls for  is another thing  - is it mainly teachers of writing  or
....? perhaps american members can identify or decode  these implications.

Kathryn ( fresh  hot off the press PhD)

"We live with strangers. those we love most, with whom we share a shelter,
a table, a bed, remain mysterious. Wherever lives overlap and flow
together, there are depths of unknowing." Mary Catherine Bateson, 2000,
from Full Circles, Overlapping Lives.

Kathryn Alexander, Ph.D.
Faculty of Education,
Simon Fraser University,
Burnaby, B.C.  V5A 1S6 Canada

Messages for SFU: (604) 291 - 3395 /SFU FAX (604) 291 - 3203

Personal: email:  [log in to unmask]