Dear Inkshed folk,
I've been following with interest the recent postings on the demand for
undergraduates with some intensive work in writing on their records (major,
minor or certificate).  At the recent WPA conference at Miami University in
Ohio, some stunning stats were presented on the DEFICIT each year for U.S.
colleges and universities trying to hire PhD's in Comp/Rhet (unlike the
surplus in lit and theory PhDs--in fact, the deficit of the one was equal
to the surplus in the other, and clearly colleges and universities were
coping by hiring some lit and theory PhDs to run or start writing
programs).  I'll hunt up the exact figures this weekend, if anyone wants them.

My question is, does anyone know of anywhere in Canada (or the U.S.)
offering a PhD in WRITING?  By that I mean, not just Creative Writing and
not just Comp and Rhet, but both working together?  I'd really appreciate
hearing of any such program.  Thanks!  Betsy Sargent
M. Elizabeth (Betsy) Sargent
Writing Coordinator
English Department
University of Alberta