Paul--

        I think this is a long out-dated theory promoted by Chambers and
to a lesser extent Young.  It supposes the evolution of vernacular drama
from liturgical drama and a movement from the church into the streets
(what Chambers called secularization).  O. B. Hardison, Jr., exposed the
evolutionary thinking of Chambers long ago and suggested separate origins
for liturgical and vernacular drama.  I do not go into origins much in my
recent book, Drama, Play and Game, but I do talk about the Chambers
theory.  As far as I know liturgical dramas remain inside the church.  The
Jeu D'Adam, which is not a liturgical drama, was apparently staged on the
steps of the church.

                                        Larry Clopper