REED Listserve:

A question recently came up in one of my classes about the availability of
audio materials to study regional pronunciations of the English language, in
Great Britain.

Do any of you know of materials used for the study of the spoken language
besides the usual distinctions of London, Cockney, and Scots, which our theatre
director has on tape?  Specifically, I am looking for examples of modern
English, to represent counties in these regions:

Southwest
Kent
Midlands, east and west
Welsh border
Northern

If possible, I would also like to know if anyone has made, in audio form,
reconstructions of what Middle English pronunciations might have sounded
like from these regions. Such materials could be used to train actors, so
they might be out there; I am just not aware of them.

Thanks for any guidance!

Elza C. Tiner
Geraldine Lyon Owen Professor of English
Lynchburg College
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501