What really gets ME are all the anthologies of Renaissance drama which insist that
early 16thC plays are the "primitive beginnings" of English theatre. (I've just
been teaching <The 4PP> this week to a class doing the drama to 1642--and you will
be delighted to hear that, I paraphrase the Rabkin and Fraser anthology, Heywood is
writing "primitive comedy" and that "this is where it all began.")

Anne Lancashire