Date sent:              Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:59:49 -0500
Send reply to:          [log in to unmask]
From:                   Pamela Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Swan-neck deformity
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Does anyone know anything about swan-neck deformity? I was told by a
> hand surgeon that it was caused by a slipped tendon and could easily
> be repaired with surgery. My MDS says it is dystonia and surgery won't
> help. I have been unable to find any material on dystonia that
> resembles this condition. It causes my ring and little finger on my
> left hand not to bend easily at the middle knuckle. I am 54, female,
> diagnosed in May of this year after two years of mild symptoms (slight
> intention tremor and slow movement-left hand- with little arm swing.)
> I went to the doctor because I could not grasp anything with my left
> hand. I am taking Permax .25mg four times a day. It has fixed the slow
> movement and arm swing. Thanks for your help. Pam

It is most likely due to dystonia.  True "swan-neck deformity" is
usually due to complications of spine surgery.

In patients with dystonic disorders (cerebral palsy sufferers get it,
also), the neck deformity can cause the development of
"spondylosis", where the bone in the neck presses on the spinal cord
and nerve roots, causing loss of function.  It sounds as if this may be
operative in this situation.

I would ask for a consultation with a neurosurgeon.  MRI and/or CT
scans of the neck may be in order.  Generally, one does not do surgery
on these cases; but when the neurological deficit is progressive,
decompressive surgery may be something to consider.

As to what the hand surgeon said, the surgery is not "simple".

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"