Hello,

I'm having some of the same problems.  When I'm "off" I have
difficulty beginning to walk.  I feel I have stepped into a new stage
of this cursed disease.  Luckily it hasn't floored me yet.

Falls are real bad news for elderly persons.  A fall that puts one in
the hospital may be the beginning of the end.

There is a great tendency to use the strong, unconscious habits of
walking that we have always used since childhood.  And so the
automatic walking "program" I learned at a young age and have used
consistently ever since is hard to replace, especially because it
still works for me when my meds are working.

To keep a habit alive and well, it's necessary to reeinforce it (by
the simple fact that it gets me what I want) only occasionally (the
slot machine effect).  And diminished short term memory makes it hard
to learn new habits.  So it takes persistence and a conscious effort
to make a new habit of some of the tricks of "stepping off" with PD.

Moves that have worked for me include:

* Start by marching in place before stepping forward.

* Make a conscious effort to always start forward with the same foot.
Focus on that foot when taking the first step forward.

* Step off slowly.

* Since I find it easier to step sideways than forward, I may take my
first step to the side.

There are other tricks listed at various PD web sites.  See the topic
"freezing, tips and suggestions" at http://www.pdindex.org.

By the way, loss of the ability to maintain balance is a symptom of
PD which, if present, may be a contributing factor in Carline's
falls.  Your neuro has a simple way to test for loss of sense of
balance.

You mention problems with the walker.  I've been told that the sturdy
ones with swivel wheels at all "lower extremities" work better for
PWPs. Is that what she uses?

Phil Tompkins
Amherst Massachusetts
age 63/dx 1990