Hi Don and list--

Yes, it is ta boo. mixed company.

But, you had to ask...this is a new abstract this month,
if anyone out there really wants to know --
see if your local library will order it.

My sex life has had better days (and nights).
I don't  want to talk about it.
According to the study, a lot of us with PD have
sexual dysfunction, bladder and fecal incontinence,
constipation or diarrhea...so why am I talking about it?

You had to ask.

Ray

Don McKinley wrote:

 > I WENT TO 2 PLACES TO GET A WALKER. 2 KINDS   WHIT THE BRAKES
 > AND WHEN I GOT GOING TO FAST I WOULD GO OVER THE TOP OF IT
 > BOTH TURNED ME SOWN IN BUYING THEM IF EVERY THING WAS LEVEL
 > AND I DID NOT GET TO RUNNING I WAS OK BOTH HAD SEATS AND WHEELS
 > VIVIAN WOULD WALK IN FRONT SO WHEN I WOULD GO FAST SHE WOULD HELP ME
SLOW > DOWN.
 > HAS ANY ONE ELSE WHENT OVER THE TOP OF ONE?
 > AND HANS DID U SEE WHAT I SAID ABOUT U R PICK.
 > AND JOE ANN SEND ME ONE AS I HAVE A BOARD THAT I PUT ALL PICK ON.
 > AND MED.CARE IS GOING TO PAY FOR MY BATTERIES FOR MY CAT. COST $400.00
 > I PAY %20  NOT BAD.
 > AND NO ONE HAVE SAID ANY THING ABOUT THERE SEX LIVE.
 > IS IT TA BOO
 >
 > OH HAN HOW DO U SEND PICK.? HOPE I HEAR FROM SOME OR AM I BANNED J.C,?
 >
 > I.Y.Q
 > Don McKinley
 > www.geocities.com/doncyberdadmckinley

  Auton Neurosci  2001 Sep 17;92(1-2):76-85

Questionnaire-based assessment of pelvic organ dysfunction in Parkinson's
disease.

Sakakibara R, Shinotoh H, Uchiyama T, Sakuma M, Kashiwado M, Yoshiyama M,
Hattori T.

Neurology Department, School of Medicine Chiba University, Japan.

Although patients with Parkinson's disease (PD) experience pelvic organ
dysfunction of the urinary bladder, bowel and genital organs, an accurate
incidence of the dysfunction and its characteristics have yet to be
ascertained. We devised a detailed questionnaire on these three pelvic
organ functions in PD patients and control subjects, in our search for a
hallmark that would distinguish between the two groups. The PD group
comprised 115 patients; 52 men and 63 women, age range 35-69 (average 59)
years old, average duration of illness 6 years, median Hoehn and Yahr stage
3. All were taking levodopa with/without dopamine agonists. The control
group comprised 391 local individuals who were undergoing an annual health
survey; 271 men and 120 women, age range 30-69 (average 48) years old. The
questionnaire had three parts: bladder (nine questions), bowel (four
questions), and sexual (three questions for women, five for men) function.
Each question was scored from 0 (none) to 3 (severe) with an additional
quality of life (QOL) index scored from 0 (satisfied) to 3 (extremely
dissatisfied). The completion rate was 100% for bladder and bowel
functions, whereas for sexual function, it was 95% (control)
and 88% (PD) for men and 82% (control) and 60% (PD) for women. As compared
with the control group, the frequency of dysfunction in the PD group was
significantly higher for urinary urgency (women 42%, men 54%), daytime
frequency (28%, 16%), nighttime frequency (53%, 63%), urgency incontinence
(25%, 28%), retardation (44% of men), prolongation/poor stream (men 70%),
straining (women 28%); constipation (63%, 69%), difficulty in expulsion
(men 57%), diarrhea (men 21%); decrease in libido (84%, 83%), decrease in
sexual intercourse (55%, 88%), decrease in orgasm (men 87%), and in men,
decreases in erection (79%) and ejaculation (79%). The QOL index for the PD
patients was significantly higher for bladder (27%, 28%) and bowel (46%,
59%) but not for sexual dysfunction, despite the group's high prevalence of
sexual dysfunction. In the PD patients, fecal incontinence was associated
with urinary incontinence. Stress urinary incontinence and a decrease in
libido were more common in women than in men. Bladder and bowel
dysfunction, but not sexual dysfunction increased with the
Hoehn and Yahr stage. Sexual dysfunction, but neither bladder nor bowel
dysfunction, increased with age. Patients taking levodopa and bromocriptine
more frequently had bladder (voiding phase) dysfunction than those taking
levodopa only. The findings show that bladder, bowel and sexual dysfunction
are all prominent in patients with PD. Amelioration of pelvic organ
dysfunction, particularly bowel dysfunction which most affects the quality
of life, therefore should be a primary target in the treatment of patients
with PD.

PMID: 11570707 [PubMed - in process]

                                   Ray Strand
                               Prairie Sky Design