Thanks for asking, Michel.  Maybe it will get my mind off PD.  I am no expert
on Afghanistan, but did teach the generalities of European History.

The Russians keep  repeating historical patterns, they can't escape history.
Anyway in 19th century they tried to play empire catch up with the Brits, who
went into Af to thwart Russian expansion for "warm waters" and protect their
empire in India.

After the 1839-42 disaster, they returned in 1880 again worrying about
Russian expansion and got creamed again, but retained some control over Af.
foreign policy.  In 1919, Third Anglo-Afghan War, Afs regained their
independence and the Brits learned their lesson and stayed out of Af.
affairs.  WWI set up many new scenarios for WWII, as I'm sure you know.

Afs were one of 1st nations to recognize Bolshevik regime, so relations were
good.   But in 1960's they attempted to become "modern and democratic" with
multi-parties.  This seldom works where democracy has never existed.  In
1979, I think, one of the Russian backed guys got control, but there was
internal opposition and peasant revolts and disorder.  All these names and
factions I haven't mastered, but this is the jist of it..  The  Russians
intervened (1) because like Nicholas II took on "weak" Japan,  Breshnev
thought Afg would be easy, (2) they could get their guys in power and (3)
maintain sphere of influence and empire and (4) this is what the Russians
like others do.  The USSR felt apart after their defeat, like the Duma
collapsed after Russo-Japanese War, both defeats.  Many interesting
parallels, too long to go into.

Think we are aware of the different  warring actions right now and complexity
of a situation that has changed our lives forever.  Some of us will be
getting out atlases and learning some new things.  Not long after this
disaster I watched a video of "Lawrence of Arabia" I had had a for a long
time, but thought was boring and never finished.  This time I recognized the
German connection with the Turks.  When I was in Istanbul at a nightclub
(tourist outing) I danced with a Turkish guy who tried German when Turkish(?)
didn't work.
I've been to Russia 3 times and it never changes.  It never has, not really.
And maybe I don't know what I'm talking about..////but when I get recovered
from my current swimming pool problems  I'm going to try to educate myself.
Hope I'm not too far off base,   Rayilyn