Nilo Sarmiento wrote:
> Dear Kathrynne,
>   First, on B6 over 10 mg caution...doesn't the carbidopa content take care
> of that?  My understanding of the caution in the literature is that if
> levodopa is taken all by itself, then one must observe the restrictions on
> the intake of B6 and certain types of food and fruits.

Nilo, it's true that when levodopa alone was taken there were warnings
to avoid B6 supplements, and also foods rich in B6. And it's also true
that when carbidopa was added, it "protected" the Sinemet from the
effects of normal amounts of B6. In fact, the literature states that
supplements in amounts up to 25 mg of B6 is OK.

Personally, I have found that some people are more sensitive to large
amounts of B6 than others, so I recommend that supplements greater than
10 mg should be taken separately from the Sinemet.

You are in the process of conducting experiments, however; so why not
determine for yourself the right amount of B6? You could start with 10
mg and work up and see if there is any difference in the way Sinemet is
absorbed, length of time before it takes effect, etc.

> My observation has been that over the past six months, the intake of
> sinemet did make an appreciable difference in my "feeling of well-being,"
> the literature calls a "false sense of well-being." However, I did not have
> a sense of improvement on my other symptoms (hand tremors, freezing on my
> feet, impaired speech).

Nilo, has your neurologist commented at all on the extent of your
symptoms and any change in them? Sometimes it's harder to notice on
oneself than on another person.

> I am surprised that you are the only one who has responded to my email, and
> I do not know what that means.

Well, it could just mean that everyone is spending a lot of time
watching CNN, out of concern for the world events today (I know my
husband and I have the TV on constantly now) and so they have less time
to read and respond to PIEN. But PIEN has weathered many crises and soon
people will be respondind, as they normally do.

Good luck with your trials of B vitamins and SAM-e, and please do keep
the list informed of your results.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Ask the Parkinson Dietitian"
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's disease"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/