From: Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, October 07, 2001 5:38 AM
Subject: Re: CBC: PD research breakthrough in Saskatoon--more

On 6 Oct 2001, at 18:14, Raymond Strand wrote:

> CHICAGO (Reuters Health) - A possible new marker for Parkinson's
> disease may give physicians the ability to diagnose and treat this
> degenerative condition at much earlier stages, according to research
> presented here Monday at the 126th annual meeting of the
> American Neurological Association.

Good Morning Raymond and All,
JP and Ken Clements heard this story on CBC radio in Ottawa and
gave us all the "heads up" that something newsworthy had taken
place.... Then, through the Internet, Ray and I were able to
"flesh it out"... and add ADTIQ to our "vocabulary"...

Will it make any difference?  I dunno.... But I'm always more than
pleased to work on this "team" and I know that together we can
make a difference.  Thank you jp, Ken, and Raymond...

And thank you Dr. Deng and Dr. Rajput!

You just may have found the needle in the proverbial...

And, incidently Ken, did you know Dr. Rajput and his "team"
have been working very hard in Saskatoon for more than 30 years
and  Dr. Rajput received an Order of Canada Award in
recognition of his dedication on all of our behalf?

They have Parkinson's there too... Just ask Sylvia...

Dr. Rajput is one of Canada's "secrets"...

Search PubMed for Rajput, AH to get 82 "hits"...

I saw and heard Dr. Rajput give his schpiel in Vancouver in '97 or '98...

He had just co-authored this paper...
Rajput AH, Uitti RJ, Rajput AH, Offord KP.
Timely levodopa (LD) administration prolongs survival in
Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 1997; 3(3): 159–165

Dr. Ali Rajput - On the World Stage: On-campus profile:
http://www.usask.ca/alumni/publications/green_white/issues/spring1998/896281
843.shtml

He's a tad dry and his subject is somewhat morbid since the stats
charted and quoted are pimarily derived from autopsies... but it is
reassuring to know that our meds aren't adding to the problem...

Do you remember Dief the Chief??  I saw him on campus in '61...

Rajput says Diefenbaker didn’t have Parkinson’s, and names
‘essential tremors’ after former PM – Scientist says no link
between Dief’s tremors and mental ability – Former Prime Minister
John Diefenbaker looks down from a portrait in...
http://www.usask.ca/communications/ocn/aug10-01/news14.shtml

U of S Medical school produces Order of Canada recipients Ali Rajput
Dr. Ali Rajput, a faculty member at the Royal University Hospital,
has been given the country's highest ....
http://www.usask.ca/alumni/publications/green_white/issues/fall1997/89741116
0.shtml

Rajput among recipients of Order of Canada today
http://www.sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca/health/alzheimer/rajput-oc.html

Under the direction of neurologist Ali Rajput (MBBs'58(Sind),
MSc'66(Michigan), FRCP'66), a U of S research team participated
in the largest controlled clinical trial ever conducted for Parkinson's,
a progressive neurological disorder affecting hundreds of thousands
of people. In 1993, the study found that people with early Parkinson's
benefited from the drug deprenyl, which delayed the onset of
disabling symptons.
http://www.usask.ca/communications/fb/faculty/Rajput.html

Rajput is co-founder of the Movement Disorders Group of Canada
and he established Saskatchewan's Parkinson's Disease Foundation.
http://www.usask.ca/alumni/publications/green_white/issues/fall1997/89741116
0.shtml

Researchers Link Welding and Parkinson's Disease
Canadian neurologist Ali Rajput, M.B.B.S., F.R.C.P.C., likens the
search for environmental causes of Parkinson's disease to
looking for a needle in a haystack.
http://ens.lycos.com/ens/jan2001/2001L-01-23-07.html

Accuracy of Clinical Diagnosis in Early Parkinson Disease
http://archneur.ama-assn.org/issues/v58n2/ffull/nlt0201-2.html

Cheers ..... murray