Hi, Carl,
I write the newsletter for HAPS, the Houston Area Parkinson Society support group.  I don't know if you are on our mailing list.   We put a request in the newsletter for anyone interested in a young onset group, but so far we haven't had enough people to start a group.

Please call our office ( 713-626-7114) and we will do everything possible to get a group together.    And, if anyone else out there in the greater Houston area is interested, the following are all ways HAPS can HELP..

- Free Therapy
HAPS sponsors 118 support groups and therapy sessions with a combined average attendance of 850 people each month.  Programs include 27 exercise, tai chi, golf, speech and water therapy groups under the supervision of occupational, physical and speech therapists.  The groups are provided in 20 locations covering the greater Houston area, including Clear Lake, Kingwood, Pasadena, Baytown, Sugar Land, Humble, Tomball and Bellaire.

- Support Group Meetings
HAPS support group participants discuss the medical and social aspects of Parkinson's disease; share and solve common problems; provide information about available community resources that could be beneficial as the disease progresses and enjoy social events.  HAPS also offers a support group for caregiver's who live with Parkinson's related dementia.

- Information, Referral and Speakers Bureau
HAPS distributes information concerning Parkinson's disease and its treatment to patients and families, caregivers and others affected by the disease.  Individual counseling on ways to cope with Parkinson's disease and Internet data searches are performed for specific needs.  Referrals to various community and health care agencies are made on a case-by-case basis.  Volunteers also provide information to groups in the community.

- Home and Respite Care
HAPS assists with activities of daily living to give caregivers the benefit of a few personal hours with aides from Sheltering Arms Senior Services.

- Transportation Program
HAPS provides handicapped equipped van rides for those in need of transportation to the therapy sites and doctor's visits.

- Emergency Financial Aid
HAPS offers emergency aid to Parkinsonians who would otherwise have to choose between food and medication.

- Advocates for the Parkinson Community
HAPS works with legislatures, government agencies and the media on behalf of those affected by PD.

- Monthly Newsletter
HAPS Happenings contains a schedule of events and classes, general information concerning the organization and the latest medical information about Parkinson's research and treatment.

- Free Annual Symposium
HAPS brings in expert speakers familiar with the latest in research and treatment for a full day symposium during Parkinson's Awareness month.  Additional workshops are presented during the year.

- Lending Library of Books and Tapes

MISSION STATEMENT:  THE HOUSTON AREA PARKINSON SOCIETY (HAPS) SERVES AND ADVOCATES FOR THOSE IMPACTED BY PARKINSON'S DISEASE IN OUR COMMUNITY.