Norma,
My dad had the same cough and constant spitting of heavy phlegm.
It stopped when he was given a stomach feeding tube and no longer
tried to swallow anything.  That seems to go along with the  theory
that food and drink in the wrong tube causes it.

But, his cardiologist told me it was coming from the fluid around his
heart.  He had congestive heart disease as well as PD.

And (to add to everyone's confusion on this subject) in the FWIW
category, there is also a theory out there that the phlegm is a sign
of infection and it should be treated with long-term antibiotics.  We
wanted them to try that for Dad.  He really wanted relief from that
symptom, but we couldn't get his doctors to try it.
This makes sense to  me because if one aspirates food or drink,
one can get pneumonia--an infection which they treat with antibiotics.
I wonder if it could hurt a person in advanced PD to be taking them
on a long term basis.  I sure hope that, if I get to that point, my doc
will be open to the suggestion.

At 10:49 AM 10/10/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>My husband has had a nagging cough for quite awhile now. It started as a
>slight hack a few years ago and is now full of phlegm and very
>persistent. Nothing seems to stop it. X-rays and pulmonary tests and
>allergy tests have not shown any reason for the cough. Is it possible it
>could be from his Parkinsons? Is there some test we should be doing
>related to the Parkinsons that will result in some relief from the
>cough?
>  Norma Dikeman
>--
>http://nordike.homestead.com/NordikeHome.html