I've been hanging on at my job in book publishing but find it increasingly
difficult if not impossible to manage an 8-hour day at the office any more.
I'm 50 years old. Our organization has a private disability insurance
policy--the 60% of salary at the time of disability kind of policy--for
which I am grateful. I am about to take the first step, cutting back to 80%
of full-time, with disability filling in the lost income after a waiting
period. It's a difficult step, but necessary. I am optimistic that this will
be more manageable at least for a while. I work for a very supportive
employer, but this feeling of no longer being able to contribute as much as
colleagues or to work the extra time where needed or even to maintain the
level of competence I had two years ago is not a good feeling to have. I
like my job. My medications keep symptoms more or less at bay, except
fatigue, and I'm not sure where the muddle-headedness comes from. But I just
wear out, like the stuffing has been knocked out of me. Co-workers tell me I
"look good." This is always nice to hear, but there is the lingering sense
of the unspoken "...so why can't you just buck up?" Hey, I'm lucky compared
to many, and will count my blessings as soon as I get done complaining.

Also, I wanted to say how impressed I am with the new book, "When
Parkinson's Strikes Early," a project accomplished by members of this list.
I'm proud to be included in this publication. However, I am fighting the
sense that "it's all been said," now that we have a book full of insightful
commentary on the Parkinson's journey by those travelling along the path.
The same things will and should continue to be said and shared by all of us.
Maybe we need to repeat ourselves, because the same stuff keeps coming up
again and again. All those stories are moments in time. Each new moment
brings a new challenge--let's keep writing about those and helping one
another out.

Take care,

Rick
50 years old, dx 1997