Katie:

You are correct that both stelazine and sometimes lithium are capable of
causing PD like symptoms, even in people who do not have PD.  In the
spectrum of drugs that have these effects are all the major tranquilizers or
so-called neuroleptic drugs.  Some of the newer ones, such as clozapine and
quetiapine seem less likely to cause the problem.  So much less that, when a
tranquilizer is necessary in a person with PD, they are considered to be the
drugs of choice by neurologists and MDS.  Clozapine can have hematologic
side effects, so that most neurologists nowadays are gravitating towards
quetiapine.

When a person on neuroleptic drugs for psychiatric treatment develops PD
symptoms, it is sometimes difficult to be sure whether the PD symptoms are
entirely the effect of the drug, or the effect of the drug added to
underlying PD.  Often the only way to know for sure is to stop the drugs at
the risk of causing worsening of the psychiatric symptoms.  These drugs have
a tendency to persist a long time in the brain, so that such trials often
need to be done over a period of several weeks to be sure.

Only your psychiatrist, in combination with your neurologist, should make
those decisions, as it is a difficult problem.  Sometimes the need to treat
the psychiatric symptoms to keep them stable is of the same or higher
priority than determining cleanly what the real underlying problem is.  Some
psychiatrists prefer certain specific neuroleptic drugs for the treatment of
specific types of psychiatric disorders.  You might consider discussing the
possibility of using quetiapine instead of stelazine, although I would be
surprised if your psychiatrist has not already considered that possibility.

Jorge Romero, MD