Rick, I also was diagnosed in 1997 and am noticing that lesser ability to do
my job or even my work at home or in volunteer groups I belong to.  One of
my complaints is the fatigue and not ever feeling ready to tackle a BIG
project like cleaning closets or canning salsa.  Can make me feel like a
shirker when I must ask others to help or take over.

Then I remember that I'm NOT wonder woman and it's OK to slow down as needed
or we find ourselves unable to do the simplest of daily activities and more
fatigue results.  I'm still tired from having a booth at health fair last
Sat AM from 7AM-11AM.  BUT I do feel good that info/awareness level of PD is
raised in my area.  I had a drawing for a copy of "When Parkinson's Strikes
Early"(now available at www.Amazon.com and Dr. Lieberman's new book,
"Shaking Up Parkinson's"(Hope that's the correct title.)available at NPF
site.

Your fellow workers can learn from you that you aren't superman and your
employer can learn the advantage of keeping you at 80% rather than having 0%
if you were not still there.  Afterall, anyone of them could have health
problems next and will be glad you have "paved the way" for adjusting for a
lesser ability on the job.

I'm sure we still have more challenges ahead, Rick.  Hang tough and PIEN can
be a great source of peer support for pwps.

Jeanette Fuhr 51/47/44?

Rick Herman said in part:

I'm 50 years old. Our organization has a private disability insurance
policy--the 60% of salary at the time of disability kind of policy--for
which I am grateful. I am about to take the first step, cutting back to 80%
of full-time, with disability filling in the lost income after a waiting
period. It's a difficult step, but necessary. I am optimistic that this will
be more manageable at least for a while. I work for a very supportive
employer, but this feeling of no longer being able to contribute as much . I
like my job. My medications keep symptoms more or less at bay, except
fatigue, and I'm not sure where the muddle-headedness comes from. But I just
wear out, like the stuffing has been knocked out of me. Co-workers tell me I
"look good." This is always nice to hear, but there is the lingering sense
of the unspoken "...so why can't you just buck up?" .

Also, I wanted to say how impressed I am with the new book, "When
Parkinson's Strikes Early," a project accomplished by members of this list.
," now that we have a book full of insightful
commentary on the Parkinson's journey by those travelling along the path.
The same things will and should continue to be said and shared by all of us.
again and again. All those stories are moments in time. Each new moment
brings a new challenge--let's keep writing about those and helping one
another out.

Take care,

Rick
50 years old, dx 1997